Hello guys! Today’s post features a really fun challenge I did this weekend, which is creating a full make-up look with only 6 products.
This seemed impossible to me, so I decided to give it a try and see what happens. On average, I tend to use at least 11-12 products for a full elaborated make-up look (think about smokey eyes, eyeliner, contouring, etc.). So for this challenge I picked only 6 products in total and I used them in multiple ways.
The biggest issue? You usually need at least 4-5 products to achieve a flawless base (primer, foundation, concealer, corrector, powder), so it was quite hard to pick only two. But eventually I grabbed the foundation and powder only.
I got another two products for the eye and face make-up: a pink blush and a contouring kit. I used the pink shades of the blush all over my eyelid, and deepened the outer corner of the eye with the matte brown from the contouring kit (which also served as an eyebrow definer). The highlighter did wonders for my brow bone, bridge of the nose and cheekbones.
I used a mascara to get voluminous dark lashes, but also as an eyeliner. And last but not least, I got a matte liquid lipstick to cover up my lips in a strong pink color.
- The mascara was not easy to apply as an eyeliner; it turned out quite patchy and not too opaque, but I eventually managed to make a decent cat-eye. It didn’t last too much either: the wing was gone in 3 hours after applying it – as opposed to a good old eyeliner that can last more than 12 hours without a scratch.
- Also, the eyelashes can get sticky if you get too close with the eyeliner brush (and you all know how much I “love” clumpy lashes).
- The foundation did not have enough coverage to hide pimples or under-eye circles. I insisted with an extra layer on the problematic areas, but I didn’t want to overdo it either, to keep a natural and fresh look. So concealer and a good corrector cannot be replaced by foundation (captain obvious here!).
- The brown color was too light for my eyebrows; they looked too natural for a full evening look.
- The blush I picked is not so pigmented, so the eye look came out a bit faded.
I must admit I was tempted to pick other products to help finish my look, but I wanted to be honest and show you the real result. So I’m proud I managed to complete this challenge, it was really fun and exciting.
Bottom line (or things to remember from this post):
- You need a thick mascara if you want to use it as an eyeliner; mine had a more liquid consistency and it wasn’t easy to get a dark opaque line.
- A contouring kit is more versatile than you might think, so it’s an essential item in every make-up bag.
- A good lipstick can save the whole look, even when the rest is not perfect
- You can compromise on the number of products used… but you’ll still need a lot of brushes to create a beautiful make-up look 🙂
Products used (click for the full reviews):
Max Factor Lasting Performance Foundation (105 Soft Beige) | Max Factor Creme Puff Pressed Powder (05 Translucent) | Sleek Face Contour Kit (Light) | Catrice Multi Matt (010 Love, Rosie) | Maybelline The Colossal Volum Express Mascara | Boys’n’Berries All Day Matte Liquid Lipstick (Dazzler)
So, what do you think about this challenge? Can you create a full make-up look with only 6 products?
If you want to do the challenge, upload the final result on Instagram or Twitter with the hashtag #6productsmakeup (or tag me @LatisIsabela). I’m very curious to see your approach 🙂